Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Are You Chasing Numbers?

For many people, fitness goals are based on numbers. It might be pounds lost, or BMI. It could be running a certain distance or a certain pace. For some it is lifting a certain amount of weight.

Having measurable goals is important, but more vital than that is leading a certain lifestyle.

My overreaching goal is one that is very hard to measure. Mine is to lead a healthy lifestyle while making smart choices about my fitness, nutrition, educational pursuits, and emotional health. To help me define what that looks like, there are measurable goals tied up in that. Some of mine include running a 50K race, running a sub 20 minute 5K, and avoiding fast food. It is not a bad thing to have such goals, however it is important to remember the real goal behind all these things.

When it comes down to the end someday, and people are remembering my life, I doubt anyone will be discussing my 5K PR. They may however, remember that I was always striving toward some sort of accomplishment. My daughter will be less likely to tell stories about my first Half Iron distance triathlon than stories about how I had the energy to run next to her while she learned to ride her bike.

So, go ahead and push those numbers. They help measure your progress. Just remember what the real meaning behind it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment