Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Great Workout! Not Sore?

It was the day after weight training and. . .

I wasn't sore, so I went for an easy three mile run. The next day, still not sore, easy four.

It was a great workout, challenging, full body, heavy (for me) sets, but I never got sore. It was three sets of each exercise in the 4-8 rep range, meaning that if I could do the lift 9 times, I added weight until I couldn't, but I still didn't get sore. Sure I could feel the results of the workout, I could tell which muscles were tired, but it was nothing to stop me from my running schedule.

I am a runner who lifts. I don't lift to burn calories, or so people will be " 'mirin' my aesthetics". I don't do weights to burn extra calories, the only time I count calories is when I'm making sure I've had enough of the little guys that day. I lift to make my running better, so what good would it do me if I can't even walk the next day.

Whether you are a runner or not, soreness is not the goal of a workout. It is often a side effect of a workout, and if you have muscle soreness it isn't the end of the world. If you are new to resistance (weight) training or if you move in a new way during weight training there is a very good chance you will be sore until your body adapts to the new movements. The soreness however, is not the goal.

If your goal is to feel sore (why?) that is easy to accomplish, you don't even have to do any work just come in and I'll practice my Muay Thai kicks on your thighs. I guarantee you'll go home with sore legs.
If your goal is progress, come in and we will work smarter. Yes, you may get sore at first. Yes, it is OK for you to be excited about the soreness. No, soreness will not be the goal.

The goal is up to you. Lift more, run faster, burn fat, improve bone strength, improve metabolism. . .
How you want to feel is up to you. Stronger, leaner, healthier. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment