Thursday, June 12, 2014

How To Run Faster

It was a crisp October morning. Unsure of whether to expect dew or frost on the grass I got out of bed, started breakfast, pinned my race bib on to my shirt and went about getting ready for my day. I had been an adult onset runner for just eleven months and at this point my number one goal was to run faster every time that I raced. I knew that I wasn't going to be among the first to the finish line, but I also knew that I would likely finish in under 21 minutes. This would be an improvement of six minutes over my first 5K less than one year before.

I studied runner training to learn the science behind improving as a runner. I cruised online on google+ and facebook listening to questions runners from around the world had and reading about their experiences, struggles, and successes so I could see what other runners were doing.

I learned a lot, there is a science to learning to run more quickly, and since I just wrote about how to run more slowly, I thought now I'd write about how to run faster.


1. Stop trying to run so fast all the time.
I know, I know, your fitness app applauds and sends you recorded messages from Lance Armstrong every time you run a mile faster than you have before, but if you really want to improve, running faster every training run is not the way to do it. Most of your running should be done at your "easy" pace. In fact, you can make loads of improvement in your race times using only easy runs. When your race times plateau, it is time to take on some other types of training.


2. Run faster some of the time.
Intervals, tempo runs, fartleks, reps, and strides all are ways to introduce some higher intensity running into your running schedule. When my runners are in the appropriate part of their training I start introducing higher intensity runs into a small part of their running schedule. Still 80% or more of their training will be easy runs.


3. Do some runner specific strength training.
Resistance training has been found to reduce risk of running injuries, improve core stability, improve running economy, and improve race times. It is best if the training is not just the latest workout in a fitness magazine, but a program specific for runners.


4. Don't forget to have fun.
For most of us, it is not our job to win races. If that is the case it is important that you are enjoying your running. There are tons of benefits of running, so that even if you don't enjoy every single run, you should at least be enjoying the results of running. Just don't forget to have fun on your runs. It is really difficult to train harder to run faster if you hate going out for your run. Find ways to keep it fun, change intensity, find new routes, enjoy the scenery, run with a friend. . . Do whatever makes running enjoyable.


No comments:

Post a Comment