Friday, June 20, 2014

"We Need One of the Men For This"

I never want my daughter to have to say, "We'll need to get one of the men for this."

In the workplace I have heard that phrase a lot. I couldn't decide whether that was discriminatory against women, men, or both. I once saw a physically demanding task handed to a male who was less capable of lifting heavy loads than the female standing next to him.

I also cringe when I hear modified pushups (knee pushups) referred to as "girl" pushups.

Yes I do understand that physiologically men tend to have higher upper body strength than women; however, I also have met women that could bench press me while I am bench pressing my one rep maximum.

Each person has a right to live their life their own way, but as long as I can influence my daughter I want her to value fitness, strength, and self sufficiency. I want her to be the one who says, "We don't need a man to carry that box upstairs, it's only 25 pounds and I squat 150!"

Lifting weights is not just about bodybuilding, it is not just about proving yourself in the gym. Most of us in the USA today are privileged in that we have the opportunity to live pretty soft lives. Our daily routine does not have to include heavy exertion. In fact, in many cases our daily routines make it hard to find opportunities for heavy exertion.

Then benefits of strength training include:

  • Weight maintenance
  • Weight Loss
  • Arthritis Relief
  • Stronger Bones
  • Leaner Body
  • Reduced Risk of Heart Disease
  • Being able to carry your luggage up a set of stairs
  • Never needing to say, "We better get one of the men for this."

No comments:

Post a Comment