Friday, December 6, 2013

Performance Vs. Appearance

Lately, I feel more and more that performance measures are more important than measurements of weight and waistline. I am not saying that weight and waist measurements should never be used, they are very useful measures. The problem with weight is that when you add muscle it is possible to stay the same weight or even gain weight while losing body fat. I have a client who has lost over 80 pounds this year, but I'd be willing to bet she has lost 85 or more pounds of fat and gained some muscle mass. 

Waist measurements are a good indicator of fat loss, but if you have a client that is sensitive about body image they can be discouraging and/or embarrassing and they also put the emphasis in appearance. 

Personally I would prefer my clients to have a performance measure as their metric of improvement. I'd prefer my clients to be proud of what they can do over what clothes they can fit into. 

No comments:

Post a Comment