Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Strength and Nightmares

I woke to the sound of terrified screams and running footsteps. A white shock bolted up my spine stopping at the base of my brain. Protective instincts kicked in before I was even fully awake. Still unsure of what was happening, or even where I was, I sat up and called my daughters name three times so that she could find me in the darkness. She ran straight to me and I leaned forward, still sitting and now bent forward, nearly bent double, I scooped her into arms and pulled her up onto the bed. I lifted quickly to get her feet past the reach of the monsters under the bed. I pulled her close and wrapped my arms around her until the nightmare faded and the reality of being safe in bed with Mom and Dad settled her down and calmed her fears. 

This surprise midnight lift was not an ideal lift. I did not set my feet and lift with my legs. I definitely did not warm up first. I didn't even have time to think of proper technique. All there was was the instinctive need to protect my daughter. 

The single reason that I did not destroy my back when snatching an uneven uncontrollable 50 pound kid from the ghost that appeared in the lunch line in her dream is that I have been in the habit of strength training. 

I admit, the amount of strength work I do meets the bare minimum guidelines of what strength training should be, but as I tried to get back to sleep I was thankful that I value fitness. Without this minimum of strength training I would probably be laid up with a severely hurt back that may have even required a trip to the doctor. 

So by investing time and effort on my health and fitness I avoided missing work (missing pay), a trip to the doctor, and pain and suffering as well. 


No comments:

Post a Comment