Wednesday, October 30, 2013

How do I make a training plan?

An overview of a training plan for a runner. In this case it is my own. I started with my goal race, a 50k in mid-March and a starting point for the training plan, which was the Monday after the 10K Classic, October 21. 

Keeping in mind what I feel I need as a runner I planned a three week taper period before the race, then I divided the remaining weeks into four phases based on a modified version of the Daniel's running formula. The biggest differences being that I take an easy week every third week and I increase mileage steadily throughout the program

Phase one: Four weeks with running emphasis on easy runs and strength training emphasis on bodyweight exercises specifically picked to address my needs. 

Phase two: four weeks, running emphasis 1- running reps or intervals, 2- tempo runs. Strength emphasis: lifting high weight for low repetitions, again focusing on my specific needs. 

Phase three: Six weeks, running emphasis 1- intervals or 2- tempo. Strength emphasis continues high weight low rep. 

Phase four: 4 weeks running emphasis 1- tempo, or marathon pace runs, 2- tempo or long runs. Strength emphasis: plyometrics. 

Peak mileage is 58 miles in a week. This is less than a lot of runners do in a week for shorter distances than 50 K, but enough to get my body prepared to finish the race. 

After peak mileage I have a three week taper. It could be more than I need, but I would prefer to toe the line with too few miles under my belt than too many miles under my belt. 

Peak miles 58
Taper week 1 - 36 miles
Week 2 - 20 miles 
Week 3 - 9 miles PLUS 50K race. 

No comments:

Post a Comment